Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

building relationships: writing letters



When I was in 4th grade, my second cousin & I decided to become pen pals. We lived less than an hour away from each other, and it wouldn't have been hard to pick up the phone & just chat. But there was something about getting out my Lisa Frank stationary & writing a letter to Jessica telling her all about my life - which consisted of being in love with Kyle R.(I always wrote the R.), playing in the backyard, & listening to Kenny Rogers. Jessica taught me about "real" music, AKA Mariah Carey. She told me about all the drama at her school; she was in 5th grade, so obviously there was a lot to tell. I can't remember much about what was said in the letters, honestly. But I do remember how ecstatic I would be when a hand written letter came to my mailbox, just for me! We were able to just write, no parents telling us to say "thank you" for the gift, no teacher grading us on our grammar. We had a special bond, my pen pal cousin & me!

I miss writing like that. I've been thinking about sending letters to my grandma, just asking about her life stories & experiences. I'm the type of person that thinks ahead, imagining how amazing it will be to have my grandma's handwritten letters with all of her stories to cherish & pass down. Right? That would be so cool!  Maybe she'd be down with being my new pen pal?


1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love writing/receiving letters!! Whenever I get in a good back-and-forth email sesh with someone, I'm reminded of that beautiful (lost) art of letter writing. Sometimes I think it'd be cool to have a pen pal & just spill secrets back and forth -- kinda like in Julie & Julia... Yeah. Okay, now I want one!

    ReplyDelete